The Fanning correlation is the name used to refer to the calculation of the hydrostatic pressure difference and the friction pressure loss for the dry gas flow.
Math & Physics
Following the law of conservation of energy the basic steady state flow equation is:
Why Fanning correlation ?
Fanning correlation actually is not a correlation, it's the fully explicit workflow to define the pressure drop.— www.pengtools.com
- = depth, ft
- = friction factor, dimensionless
- = pressure, psia
- = Reynolds number, dimensionless
- = specific gravity, dimensionless
- = temperature, °R or °K, follow the subscript
- = velocity, ft/sec
- = gas compressibility factor, dimensionless
- = absolute roughness, ft
- = viscosity, cp
- = density, lbm/ft3
g = gas
K = °K
L = liquid
R = °R
SG = superficial gas
- Colebrook, C. F. (1938–1939). . Journal of the Institution of Civil Engineers. London, England. 11: 133–156.
- Moody, L. F. (1944). . Transactions of the ASME. 66 (8): 671–684.
- Lyons, W.C. (1996). Standard handbook of petroleum and natural gas engineering. 2. Houston, TX: Gulf Professional Publishing. ISBN 0-88415-643-5.